Learning About Gifted Kids
To fully understand gifted kids, it's important to learn about what it means to be gifted, to know just what giftedness is.
Understanding the concepts can help you better understand your child and your child's needs.
Gifted People Not Recognized in Their Youth
Some people think that gifted kids stand out, that they can't possibly be missed in a crowd. However, plenty of gifted people were not recognized as gifted when they were young. Here are just a few of them.
- Einstein was four years old before he could speak and seven before he could read.
- Isaac Newton did poorly in grade school.
- When Thomas Edison was a boy, his teachers told his mother he was too stupid to learn anything.
- A newspaper editor fired Walt Disney because he had "No good ideas"
- Enrico Caruso's music teacher told him "You can't sing, you have no voice at all." (Caruso was a famous tenor, like Pavaroti is today.)
- Leo Tolstoy flunked out of college.
- Verner Von Braun flunked 9th grade algebra.
- Louis Pasteur was rated as mediocre in chemistry when he attended the Royal College
- Abraham Lincoln entered The Black Hawk War as a captain and came out a private
- Winston Churchill failed the sixth grade.